Here is The Land Out There’s blueprint to a backpacking trip through the northern part of Gujarat, which is famous for its white desert, kite festivals and temples.
The route listed below can be done by us at Rs1000/day without food. The route can also be customized on request provided there are a minimum of 6 and maximum of 8 backpackers.
For more information mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Reach the colorful city of Ahmedabad early in the morning.
- Check into a guest house/lodge.
- After breakfast visit the International Kite festival at Sardar Patel Stadium/Riverfront, also visit the famous Kankaria- a mini city
- Return to the Guest house/lodge and experience kite flying first hand. After dusk the sky is filled with tukkals (kites brightly lit with diyas and candles)
- Post dinner visit the Patang bazaar- a market that is open for 24 hrs during the kite festival where you can get a glimpse of how the manja(string used to fly kites) are made.
- Return to the guest house for a goodnight sleep.
- Fly kites in the morning and experience the festive fights of locals trying to cut rival kites while they scream and shout and play songs.
- Post lunch visit Law garden- the famous market for Gujarati traditional wear and handicrafts.
- Return back from the market after an early dinner and pack up.
- Board a non-Ac sleeper bus 10pm for Bhuj 336km.
- Reach Bhuj by 6am the largest white desert in the world.
- Check into guest house/lodge.
- After breakfast Pragmahal Palace, palace of the ruler of kutch. Also visit Aaina Mahal, which literally means Palace of Mirrors and is located in the compound Pragmahal Palace.
- After lunch visit Shree Swaminayan Temple and Hamirsar Lake.
- Return back to Bhuj for dinner.
- Leave early in the morning by local bus/tuk-tuk to visit the rural villages of Narayon Saravor, Koteshwar, Lakpath.
- Have breakfast in a local Dhabba.
- Spend time with the villagers and live a day with them in their homes.
- After breakfast, say good bye to your host and leave for the villages of by tuk-tuk/local bus Karo Dungar, Dhordo, Bhirendiyara.
- Spend another night in any one of the villages.
- After breakfast return back to Bhuj by local bus.
- Reach Bhuj by 12pm.
- After lunch board a non Ac sleeper bus from Bhuj to Mumbai by 3pm.
- Reach Mumbai by 6am.
Text by: Divya Pai
Photography by: Umesh Gawde